Pastor’s Corner Week of November 9, 2014 Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I am currently residing in a dormitory and cannot use the usual video or spoken format for The Pastor’s Corner. Still, I wanted to make a post with something for you to think about during this upcoming week. One of the things I was taught at an early age was to read with a critical eye. Not everything in print can be taken at face value and while we expect modern day journalists to hold some form of integrity and desire to be objective, the truth is our modern day press is incredibly biased, and in the case of American media, entertainment driven. Have you ever thought about who decides what is newsworthy? There can be thousands of people dying at the hands of evil tyrants, wars, starvation, etc. and our headlines are all about the latest tirade of Miley Cyrus or some other entertainer. Quite frankly I find this incredibly embarrassing and don’t believe it at all reflects the valu...
When I was a kid I used to love to watch Looney Tunes. I couldn't believe it when I found out that one man did all of the voices for the characters. Mel Blanc was a genius! Below is part of an episode with Bugs Bunny, Witch Hazel, and Hansel & Gretel. It hilarious how Hansel & Gretel are portrayed with their German accent and all. Make sure to catch their last line to Witch Hazel. Funny stuff in my humble opinion.
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I will begin a three year program called Good Leaders/Good Shepherds at the end of this month. This program will help me become a better leader and pastor. I have heard from other priests who just completed the program that they acquired very helpful skills and tools to help them in parish ministry. I am really looking forward to the program. One of my personal goals is to do a better job communicating with the parish leadership and community. It is a real challenge with the busy demands of meetings and appointments to find time to just share a reflection or thought or just thank people for their faith and dedication to the Lord. After some thought and prayer I have decided to start The Pastor's Corner . I will make a weekly video broadcast and podcast to help provide a weekly forum to communicate with the parish and school. I am going to find a corner in one of the rooms in the rectory and set up my little recording s...