Pastor’s Corner Week of November 9, 2014 Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I am currently residing in a dormitory and cannot use the usual video or spoken format for The Pastor’s Corner. Still, I wanted to make a post with something for you to think about during this upcoming week. One of the things I was taught at an early age was to read with a critical eye. Not everything in print can be taken at face value and while we expect modern day journalists to hold some form of integrity and desire to be objective, the truth is our modern day press is incredibly biased, and in the case of American media, entertainment driven. Have you ever thought about who decides what is newsworthy? There can be thousands of people dying at the hands of evil tyrants, wars, starvation, etc. and our headlines are all about the latest tirade of Miley Cyrus or some other entertainer. Quite frankly I find this incredibly embarrassing and don’t believe it at all reflects the valu...
I enjoyed a very good and relaxing vacation with my parents. The fish were abundant and the weather was perfect! We are always at the mercy of the returning runs of salmon who vary their arrival each and every year. Last year we were too late this year we did incredibly well. My dad even caught a nice king salmon (probably around 25 pounds) in only 24 feet of water. That's pretty unusual and you usually have to go way out into the open see and fish in much deeper waters. We both considered that catch a huge bonus! It was good to be away from the parish for awhile and have some down time. I offer a special word of thanks to everyone who kept us in prayer. Other than a lengthy delay at the boarder for my parents (I just missed it) everything went incredibly well. God is always good!
Someone gave me a copy of a great new book by Sherry A. Weddell. It's called "Forming Intentional Disciples — The Path to Knowing And Following Jesus". I highly recommend this book. It gives you a lot to think about and how we need to get back on track with the mission of the Church. Here's a quote from Pope Benedict XVI which is in the book: Faith is above all a personal, intimate encounter with Jesus, and to experience his closeness, his friendship, his love; only in this ways does one learn to know him ever more, and to love and follow him ever more. May this happen to each one of us.